On September 27, 1957, New York Giants majority owner Horace Stoneham signed an agreement to rent San Francisco’s Seals Stadium for the 1958 and 1959 seasons, during construction of their new home field, Candlestick Park. The New York Giants would be no more. After their last home game at the Polo Grounds on September 29, 1957, the team which began as the Gothams in 1883 would thereafter be known as the San Francisco Giants. Walter O’Malley’s Dodgers were making the move to Los Angeles; O’Malley’s encouragement, and the welcome mat set out by the second of the two major venues in California, sealed the deal.
San Francisco Mayor George Christopher spearheaded the transition from East to West Coast for Stoneham and his team. New York city officials had been less than helpful to the Giants organization in finding a new home to replace their crumbling old stadium. After winning the World Series in 1954 – as underdogs sweeping the Cleveland Indians in four straight games, including “The Catch” by Willie Mays in Game 1 – the Giants had slipped in the rankings and attendance fell off significantly over the next three years.
Seals Stadium had a long history as a minor league ballpark. The San Francisco Seals of the Pacific Coast League, a Boston Red Sox minor league affiliate, made it their home from 1931 until 1957. After the Giant’s 1959 season, the stadium was demolished and its location at 16th and Bryant Streets was developed for retail business.
Image Credit: Wikipedia