Were you born in 1957?
If so, we are kindred spirits.
How did entering the world in 1957 affect your life? What are you grateful you experienced? What did you miss? What do you wish you’d missed?
Here’s my list:
I’m grateful I experienced –
- Great TV shows like Leave it to Beaver, Gilligan’s Island, and Perry Mason
- The freedom to wander on my own around my Portland neighborhood
- Scholastic book orders in grade school, which delivered a fresh stack of books to read every month
- The relief when it was clear that my friends would not go to Vietnam
- Girls sports teams in high school, after Title 9 took effect
- Star Wars on opening night in my local theater. Remember the knock-you-back-in-your-seat trumpet fanfare during the opening credits? The stomach-dropping sensation of rollercoastering over the dunes of Tatooine?
I missed –
- The beginning of the Beatles and the hippie Summer of Love thing
- Laugh-In, which my parents thought was obscene
- Owning a Chevy Bel Air before they became an expensive classic
I wish I’d missed –
- The disco generation! I’m still embarrassed . . . really embarrassed
How about you? Please leave me a comment and share.
One more question, Class of 1975: was this The Slow Dance at your senior prom, too?
Image Credit: LiraLira Ltd.